Old November 29th 20, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default How little inventory is out there

On 11/29/2020 7:55 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 11:18:41 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Western Bikeworks in PDX has some Tacx trainers. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...-drive-trainer Spendy. Bike Gallery has some trainers. https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...r-366464-1.htm River City, too: https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pr...iner-18176.htm They certainly don't have the usual selection, and one of the big local shops, Universal, is pretty picked-over. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=458

There were and are supply chain issues, but it seems like the demand planners really fell on their faces, too. Specialized way underestimated he demand and is now looking at Spring before many of its bike will be available again. The tariffs caused problems, too, as domestic companies had to shift manufacturing from China to Vietnam, Myanmar, etc. There were already supply disruptions for some products even before COVID.

-- Jay Beattie.

REI (at REI.com) *seems* to have the top-end Tacx stuff, but it's hard
to tell from their website if things are *actually* in stock. REI
doesn't discount, as a rule, so pricey, but if you're a member you get a
~10% rebate next summer.

Mark J.