Old March 22nd 06, 05:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Speed Hump @ Centennial Park - Update

Kimon wrote -

Well, a first time cyclist or a person not be aware of the hump's
presence will not have much of a choice (or a kid who doesn't know
better). At the moment, there is no sign indicating a speed hump, and
even with a sign there is little chance slowing down on that hill.

Our bunch meets for morning rides directly opposite where the new hump has
been placed.

As has been observed its a metal hump with edges unkind to bike wheels, sort
of like the ones film crews use to cover cables when they have to go across
roads - and very much like the one Matt White slippped on at very slow speed
and broke his arm just before the prologue to the TdeF a few years ago.

So while we are waiting there (telling lies about why we didn't win any
races on the previous weekend) and waiting for the rest of the bunch to roll
up, another group turns from Grand Parade UP the hill and the lead rider in
the pre dawn gloom either doesn't see or misjudges the angle to go over the
hump, goes down and joins the Collar Bone Club (always open to new members).

I do hope someone points out to the park authority that they will have a
liability problem with making a dangerour intersection more and not less
dangerous to users.

The way better solution is to require all users whether cyclist or motorist
to correctly observe the stop sign at the intersection - they seem to have
lots of rangers patrolling the park - effective enforcement of a protective
control sign would overcome the perceived problem, not the installation
something inherently dangerous to cyclists.

best, Andrew