Old May 31st 10, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Default OT Cyclists not in the UK

John Sabine wrote:
On 31 May, 11:30, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

"When cyclist ignore red lights, they cross in front of pedestrians
who have the green light. About 41% of cyclists at peak hour pay no
attention to them."

Only 41%? So in Australia the majority of cyclists obey red lights
then?

Oh how carefully you snip the bits that might support your
assertation that cyclists obey traffic laws.

Arguably a very careless snip, as the rest of the paragraph makes it
very clear that this referred to one specific junction, the worst of
those
looked at.

"• The corner of Park & Elizabeth Streets is dangerous for cyclists
illegally riding on the footpath. Its also the worst for cyclists
running
red lights. When cyclist ignore red lights, they cross in front of
pedestrians who have the green light. About 41% of cyclists at
peak hour pay no attention to them."

From the same article;
"Cyclists at about 75% of Sydney city intersections: ride illegally
on footpaths, they dangerously wind in and out of pedestrians and
they speed".

Can you explain your point?

The point is that "Cyclists at about 75% of Sydney city intersections: ride
illegally on footpaths, they dangerously wind in and out of pedestrians and
they speed".

If I were to say 'motorists on about 75% of UK roads drive in excess
of the posted speed limit' I wouldn't with those words be suggesting
that a majority of motorists speed.

I rather think you would.

Can you explain your point?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.