Old June 16th 14, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Pavement cyclist kills OAP

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:41:21 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 15/06/2014 09:47, Peter Keller wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:58:58 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 14/06/2014 09:05, Peter Keller wrote:

JNugent wrote:
On 13/06/2014 09:49, Peter Keller wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:25:00 +0100, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:28:12 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

The death toll is mounting, when will this menace be stopped?

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...g/2014/jun/11/

police-
hunt-pavement-cyclist-who-killed-81-year-old-woman-in-oldham

It is time there was a real effort by the police to clamp down on
cyclists on footpaths - with a large fine.

Not ours.
They are too busy nicking bicyclists without helmets.
Now how does a bicyclist wearing a helmet save a knocked down OAP?

There is the issue of instilling a respect for law and the rioghts
of others - even if only a grudging one - in the lawless.

Nicking bicyclists for not wearing helmets is not designed to instill
respect for the law.

Nevertheless, it is a side effect.

It might bludgeon long-suffering people into obeying stupid laws. It
does not instill respect.

If scofflaw chavs on bikes won't respect the law (and the rights of
others), bludgeoning them into compliance, whilst not the ideal, is
still an acceptable substitute, as I'm sure you'll agree.

I agree.
Forcing people to wear pudding bowels does not reduce the danger to
others.

Nicking bicyclists for behaviour increasing the chances of serious
injury to others is another matter.

Much traffic law is aimed at preventing injury to road-users in
general,
including the prevention of injury solely to the offender.

So let us have rules which have a good effect aof preventing injury to
the offender, such as --
Stop at red lights --
Always be able to stop without hitting something --
etc.
A pudding bowl does not have nearly as good an effect as real measures
do.

We have those rules in the UK. I am sorry to hear that they have not yet
reached the Antipodes. Speak to your MP?

Oh we have tried. Do you know what kind of person the average MP is?
As you and I say, we are talking about a thoroughly ****ed-up country.