Old February 12th 08, 10:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

Default Chicago rules

"JoeDe" wrote:

Good Point!
Eveyone knows of someone or possibly themselves has been fined for an
offence in a car, but has anyone ever heard of a motorist actually being
pulled over and fined for passing a cyclist too close?
I'm not talking about motorist fined after hitting a cyclists but just for
passing too close.
After all it is the law. Apparently.

Actually, no. At least not in the Victorian Road Rules
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd.../0/part_11.pdf

"Rule 144 A driver overtaking a vehicle-
a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with
the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and
b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle
is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past the vehicle to
avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle"

No mention of a 1 metre space in the road rules that I could find. This is a
recommendation I believe, and would be impossible to enforce, without a
camera on every car!

However the rules on double lines in the country - now there's a law that
95% of drivers break when overtaking cyclists. Very easy to enforce with
police presence! Interesting too that drivers changing lanes (ie. overtaking
a cyclist on a multilane road) are required to change lanes fully - none of
this moving out half a lane to cut by a cyclist.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@