Old November 11th 04, 06:48 AM
Frank Krygowski

Pete wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote

FWIW, I've looked at the data for motorcycling. From what I've seen, the
average risk of fatality, or serious injury, or serious head injury are
all much worse for motorcycling than either bicycling, walking near
traffic or riding in a car.

Part of the problem with motorcycles is the new guy syndrome. Anyone can go
buy a vastly overpowered crotchrocket.

I'd be surprised if a LOT of those injuries/fatalities weren't in the first
year or so of ridership.

I've wondered exactly the same thing.

I ride an antique BMW motorcycle (although I put much more mileage on
the bicycles). My motorcycle safety record almost matches my bike
safety record: two falls, both at walking speed, in 26 years of
motorcycling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bulletproof 18-year-olds are responsible
for the vast majority of motorcycling's safety problems. After having
some of those guys pass me doing 80-mph wheelstands (literally!), it's
easy to believe.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]