Old August 7th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Pat

Default I guess the scooter ain't very safe either

On Aug 7, 12:11 pm, donquijote1954
wrote:
On Aug 6, 8:32 pm, Pat wrote:

Zigzagging: Most Dangerous Driving

Don't ask me for a study that backs up such a statement, it's just
obvious. Every time you get on the road you see these wild vehicles
(usually SUVs and larger vehicles) zigzagging all around playing a
game of Russian Roulette --a game they always win since they are
bigger...

You guys always lose me with these SUVs are evil threads. I never
have any problems with them when I'm on my motorcycle. You just have
to drive your motorcycle like a car, following the same rules, keep
your high beam on in the daytime, and make eye contact.

You'll be lucky if you can make eye contact. Most of them have tinted
windows.

If you are

experiencing problems, I would guess it is one of three things: you
are not keeping up to road speed, you are not accelerating as quickly
as everyone else, or your bike just too small to be seen/noticed.

If they can miss a scooter, what comfort there's for a bicycle? Or
could it be that they simply miss it because they are engaged on the
phone, changing pampers, etc?

You might want to consider something a bit bigger. I've ridden the
Honda Silver Wing and that's a sweet ride.

Other than that, the best you can do is get a really loud horn, such a
boat horn or something.-

How about requiring these TRUCKS to require a TRUCK DRIVER'S LICENSE
(a step above driving a regular car but not a fully semi driver's
license) and banning cell phones, etc? I guess that would be too much
for the big business involved in SUVs...

I am curious as to where you live.

In NYS, you can't tint front windows or windshields, so that problem
goes away. It is also illegal to talk on a cell phone (except with
hands-free or a headset).