Old December 19th 10, 05:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

Default Anti-Lycra Brigade?

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote

My views on wearing Lycra are pretty much on record and I have always
thought it's just me. After all, most of the cyclists I encounter on the
streets on Sydney seem to be Lycra-clad with the apparently mandatory
sunnies. Yes, there are some suburbs where I come across several cyclists
who are dressed in normal street clothes, eg Kensington and Redfern in
Sydney where the student population is relatively high and we all know how
much disposable income a student has.

There are some cyclists on whom Lycra look real nice as the material shows
off those soft curvaceous ... eeerrr.. I digress.

Have you worn Lycra Geoff? I have no problem with people who wear Lycra, nor
with people who do not. I'm quite happy to cruise the 'hood in shorts and a
loose t-shirt. But when I was riding to work I was riding to get there, not
to look cool or to cruise around. For getting somewhere quickly and
comfortably whilst also getting some exercise on the way, Lycra is the best.
I wouldn't wear it to go shopping though. As for the sunnies, my das has
macular degeneration and, though I don't have a problem now, my optician
tells me to wear sunnies outside any time the sun is in the sky.

I'm surprised you're not telling people how inappropriate it is to travel to
work on a bus wearing a suit.

Anyway, you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I came across
the following article. I am glad I am not as alone as I thought I was I
guess it will be a while before I ride sans helmet, as some cyclists in
the article appear to have done, or before I ride a bicycle with a wicker
basket hanging off the front but to know that Lycra is not necessarily a
pre-requisite for riding a bicycle makes me happy

It never was.

Theo