Old December 21st 10, 01:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

Default Anti-Lycra Brigade?

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote
On 19/12/2010 4:53 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

Have you worn Lycra Geoff? I have no problem with people who wear Lycra,
nor
with people who do not. I'm quite happy to cruise the 'hood in shorts and
loose t-shirt. But when I was riding to work I was riding to get there,
not

Apologies for not responding to this post earlier. Something was nagging
me at the back of my mind and on the way home just now I realised that I
had been a bit rude with my posting or lack of in this case.

Hm, ok, so I wear Lycra? Yes I do - once a year when I receive my
Sydney-Gong Ride bib and top.

I usually purchase a top which is half a size smaller of cos. It fits more
snugly and this of cos helps with my *ahem* aerodynamics. It has NOTHING
to do with the fact that a snugly fitting top does give excellent
definition to my abs, my pecs and my whatever bits (for which I have no
idea what they are called - I know where my abs are but only have a vague
idea that pecs are somewhere above my waistline ))

I wouldn't wear it to go shopping though. As for the sunnies, my dad has
macular degeneration and, though I don't have a problem now, my optician
tells me to wear sunnies outside any time the sun is in the sky.

Hey, you have a medical reason for wearing sunnies, ok? I am just jealous
becos I have NEVER worn sunnies in my life! It'd cost a fortune to make
sunnies for my eye prescription, you see - I am pretty hopeless in the
seeing dept

I paid about $350 for my prescription sunnies. My optician tells all his
customers the same thing, maybe she has an ulterior motive?
OTOH, the cancer council gives the same advice.

I'm surprised you're not telling people how inappropriate it is to travel
work on a bus wearing a suit.

Eeerr, gimme some clues where to start and I'll give it a go, OK? Just
keep it on topic Right now it is too hard for me to try to connect
bicycles, Lycra, buses, people in buses and suits into anything coherent
or remotely funny

Try this line. Only pretentious rich people wear suits. Rich people don't
catch buses because it reduces their status among their (other suit-wearing)
co-workers. Rich people shouldn't catch buses because they are reserved for
poor people whose time is not important and it is OK for them to sit, or
stand, in smelly crowded buses for twice as long as it takes the rich people
to get to work. This will get you started but feel free to ad-lib from
there.

I personally haven't worn a suit since 1994, but wore one at work every day
for twenty years. And only a prole would wear an off-the-peg suit, real
pretenders have theirs tailor-made. I always did.

Of course, during much of that period I was riding to work in my Lycra and
donning my suit after my morning shower at work.

Cheers
Theo