Old August 17th 17, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default nobody seen nuffin'

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 8/15/2017 7:31 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I was in a motor vehicle. I can;t deny that I rolled thru a stop
sign, and right in front of a cop, even. Well a ranger. But it
never even occurred to me that the ranger was in her truck watching
me. I saw the ranger truck way over there and figured he or she was
over there fixin fences or doin something like that. Stupid as that
may sound whats trippin me is having a good time as a guest enjoying
my hosts hospitality - and then getting pounced on by that same hose
the minute I step out the front door. WTF.

FWIW: After discussions here and elsewhere about the same issue
regarding bikes, there was one time I was commuting to work, passing
through one of the two four-way stop signs. I had a police car right
on my tail.

As a test, I treated that stop sign as I always did, which was stand
up, feet on the pedals, and do an almost track stand until it was my
turn to go. I never did (technically) stop, although I was at least
briefly under 2 mph. The cop apparently thought that was fine.

You can't conclude that at all. The cop either thought it was fine, or
just couldn't be arsed to give you a ticket.

Last year some time I was waiting patiently to turn right on green, on
my bike, at an intersection marked "no right turn on red". There was a
cop at the front of one of the other streets in the intersection.
Several drivers behind me began to honk, since most drivers are
accustomed to ignoring the turn restriction.

I looked at the cop, looked back at the honkers, said "**** it", and
turned right. No one got a ticket, or even a hard look. That does not
mean that the very same cop might not give out a hundred tickets at the
very same intersection, on some other day.