Old November 9th 03, 12:30 AM
Lawrence Turner

Default BiGHA Comments

Your post addesses a huge problem in bentdom.

Are we individual riders or part of a "movement," as you put it?

The day riding a recumbent entails joining a movement is the day I get
off the bike for good. Once something becomes a "movement," the
community becomes greater than the self - and people have to get
permission from the community before they can create or purchase the
bike of their choosing.

Your post seems to imply that Bigha should have consulted people such
as yourself before creating their product. I say kudos to Bigha for
breaking the status quo.

(mike s) wrote in message . com...
Nick: I think the comments about Bigha involve two areas. First is
price. It is pricey and sells at a cost close to what some of the top
end performance bents go for. Second is the impression that the
recumbent movement is moving more toward performance (speed, handling,
lighter weight, more aerodynamic, etc.) and this is a bike moving in
the opposite direction. As a comfort cycle its competition is found
in bikes costing thousands of dollars less. They may not have all the
googaws and whistles that Bigha does, but for someone entering into
bentdom they can buy two to four of the competition for what Bigha
costs. I think that all of us bent riders want a bent company to
succeed and most of us perceive such a narrow niche for this bike that
success is chancy (we have been wrong before). And when a bent
company fails then, image wise, the sport is affected. So, while a
lot of us wish them well, that doesn't mean we can't espouse our own
opinion of their marketing and product. It just seems like a heavy,
expensive cushy bent. Hopefully they are considered more like
Cadillacs than Packards.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.

Barcroft Virginia