Old February 17th 19, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On 2019-02-10 10:32,
wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 6:52:27 AM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:56:22 PM UTC+1, Joerg
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road
bike tire is a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse
than expensive tires. Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I
ride on good roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a
Continental 4000S(2) rear tire and expect the same from the
5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve
had one flat in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving
out when I hit a pothole hard. I ride on roads but I can’t
say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4
gallons of water or something...

-- duane

George does ride over gravel roads. Consequently he gets
sidewall cuts.

Not much choice. Sometimes roads turn into gravel or even dirt
without the map saying so. At the most you get a sign "Pavement
ends" as you get there. Instead of turning around on I press on,
just like I would in a car. On a vehicle I expect tires not to be
the princess on the pea. Some tires are just too flimsy.

One of the Gatorskin sidewall blow-outs was on Green Valley Road
from Folsom to Cameron Park. This is paved all the way but has
debris from trucks et cetera. Luckily uphill and at low speed,
didn't crash, as there was fast rush hour traffic to the left of
me. Since switching to Asian tires ... no more sidewall blow-outs
on the road bike or the MTB and it's been years of regular riding.
The MTB has to endure quite hostile turf. A pleasant side effect
was that sturdy Asian tires cost less than half of the "name
brand" ones.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have been far more than satisfied with the Vittoria tires.

Same here. I was impressed with the Vittoria Zafiro tires. Got them at
around $12 a pop and they last 2k miles. As far as I know they are made
in Thailand.

... I have
a set of Rubino Pro Endurance tires that I probably won't use since
I'm trying to clear out most of my collection. If you'd like to try
those I'll give them to you for postage or if you're in the
neighborhood I can just hand them over.

Of course I am interested though I don't get to the Bay Area anymore
because of retiring and because clients being in Texas now (you and I
know why ...).

Can't you use them up on your bike? You probably ride more road bike
miles than I do and at least around here that eats rear tires as if it
was popcorn.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, I can use them but in the warm weather I'll ride the Colnago which I hope to convert to tubeless. And I think that I'll exchange the Scirroco Cross wheels for a set of Campy Protons I have one on of the bikes for sale. So I will have a good set of clinchers for the steel bike if I have any more problems with Tubeless.

In any case as if this moment I have enough tires for three years.