Old June 14th 19, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/13/2019 6:54 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/13/2019 6:27 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 4:15:13 PM UTC-4, Zen Cycle
wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:13:46 PM UTC-4, Frank
Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street
Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a
rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his
skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be
worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except
that such people careening on a e-bike could kill
innocent bystanders as well.

Or cause innocent bicyclists to crash trying to avoid
those darn e-bikes. I've seen that happen a number of
times on rail-trails around here which is another reason I
avoid those rail-trails a lot of times. Some e-bike users
seem to think that any off road path or trail is there for
them to speed along at the top speed of their e-bike. They
seem to EVER consider that maybe someone else is using the
trail from the opposite direction.

Speed is weirdly addictive when you've got a motor.

I remember an incident back in the 1970s. I had been riding
my motorcycle and lost something I had strapped to the bike.
(I can't now recall what it was.)

Anyway, I took the motorcycle back out and rode the same
streets and country roads at low speed, maybe 29 - 25 mph,
to look for the lost item. And I remember thinking "This is
really pleasant." At low speed, there was very little noise
from wind or from the engine. I had much more time to look
all around and appreciate my surroundings. It felt like
there was less risk of crashing. It was quite relaxing.

But ever since, with rare exceptions, when riding a
motorcycle I've chosen the highest speeds the law would allow.

I trust by 'law' you meant Bernoulli's and not some
arbitrary civil regulation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/