Old December 7th 18, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default SKS RENNKOMPRESSOR: A superior, recommended floor pump

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 7:05:58 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 3:26:02 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
A floor pump I really like, to the extent that we have two of them, is the SKS Rennkompressor. It has several available heads, but the best one is a double-hole head with a flip lever; I imagine that it won't last as long as the also available brass and steel heads, and that in a few years the plastic and rubber double-hole head will have to be replaced, but that doesn't bother me, as I have spare parts laid in, and the Rennkompressor is famous for having been rebuildable for about half a century now. It's an aesthetically, kinesthetically and operationally pleasing pump and, of course, its speed leaves those miniature abominations curled up and dying in its dust, which helps a lot if you're trying to fill 622x60mm Big Apples.

On this page
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor/
you can see the pump, same as you see on the TdF, all it's four heads -- the one I like, called the Multi Valve, is second from the left (as I say, likely the least long-lived but also the most convenient) and below that you can click for the amazingly complete available replacement parts list..

Mine came from one of the two German dealers I like and cost about 50 Euro delivered to my door in Ireland.

None of the spares I laid in have been required in the ten years or so since I bought the pumps, and people who bought them on my recommendation are also very pleased with the SKS Renkompressor. The only criticism I ever heard is that the analogue manometer dial near the folding footplate is distant and small and not very finely graduated for those who want to pump up balloons and other low-pressure tyres because the pump is primarily intended for putting 15 or 16 bar in narrow racing tyres with a couple of quick strokes. That doesn't bother me, because by the time I want to use the pump I'm wearing my cycling spectacles, which are optimized to making eye contact with a motorist entering from a T-junction 30 or 40 feet away, so I have no problem reading the dial, and I'm a belt and braces man who anyway checks with an electronic gauge as well.

A superior, recommended floor pump.

Andre Jute
There's a reason so many racing teams use the SKS Rennkompressor

Mine is 32 years old.

Lou

My Silca is 40 years old, but I still prefer the budget Performance Hurricane with the Topeak Smarthead. Pro teams used compressed air. http://cdn..media.cyclingnews.com/20...700_80_670.jpg

I'm sure the Rennkompressor is a fine pump, but these days, you can get a lot of fine, durable pumps in the same price range. I would like to see the stats on pumps-to-inflation.

-- Jay Beattie.

As usual, I went for the pump with the provenance, hence the SKS Rennkompressor. I'm sure that a Silca of the same height would perform well and likely be as infinitely rebuildable, but what Europeans know about and are offered is the SKS Rennkompressor.

As an aside, I too like Topeak pumps for carrying on the bicycle. A Topeak with an excellent reputation, often given away in the toolkits that accompany the bikes from the better German baukasten (mine came in the "Welcome Kit" with my Utopia Kranich, a substantial box of tools and spares), is the Topeak Peak DX, which is said to be reversible between Shrader and Presta valves. I've never had cause to reverse mine, or to use it on my own bike since I tested it when it first arrived to determine if it works on balloons (it does, so I chucked the other small pumps I had, none of which worked well), though the Topeak has pumped many a pedal pal's tyres to safe pressures..

Andre Jute
So many bicycle components, far, far, far, from being good or even sufficient, are barely adequate to purpose, so it is a huge pleasure to discover two in the same field that work commendably well.