Old February 21st 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Convert rear hub of an older bike to Skewer quick release type possible?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:22:35 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:08:24 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:54:58 -0800 (PST), markm75
wrote:

I have an older schwinn mountain bike.. it has the standard nut type
hub on the rear wheel..

I've recently acquired a trainer, and for the trainer (Minoura rim
drive powermatic system), they use skewers and recommend replacing the
existing skewer to theirs that came with it, which i did with my newer
bike...

Is it possible to convert the older bike's nut type setup to a quick
release skewer setup? Or cost wise.. would it be cheaper to just find
a bike that could be used as a trainer that had the quick release
(used)...

The local bike store said it wouldnt be possible to convert it.

The bike was originally a 10 speed.. with the front sprocket having 2
rings.. i upgraded that awhile back to 3 ring.. i think its 15 speed,
but the back is the part that matters here i think...

Any thoughts?
Yes. Give up mountain biking. You obviously aren't suited for it, and
it harms the environent. Replacing laces on hiking shoes might be more
your speed.

Yo Mikey,

How does riding a mountain bicycle inside on a trainer harm natural areas?

"Hard-core mountain biking may injure the scrotum"

And cause similar harm to women.

Touche',

When did riding a trainer in the living room become "hard-core mountain
biking"?

Use your imagination. Do I have to spell out everything for you?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande