Old February 3rd 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Better Braking?

On Mon, 03 Feb 2020 12:15:29 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/3/2020 9:29 AM, Duane wrote:
On 2/3/2020 10:12 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 2:17:00 AM UTC-8, John B.
Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 20:15:06 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/2/2020 7:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The OE direct mount brakes on my Trek stop well enough
but have a slightly different feel than Ultegra dual
pivot. Their reason for being is aerodynamics and
light weight.

And everyone knows how critical aerodynamics are. Why,
just look at how
Shimano AX absolutely transformed everyone's riding
experience!

And light weight? Yep, pedaling your 180 pound
bike+rider weight up a
hill is a completely different experience than pedaling
your 179.9 pound
total bike+rider weight. That extra tenth of a pound
absolutely sucks!
Thank God for 0.06% improvements!

But Frank! It's NEW! and everyone knows that NEW is
BETTER.....
O.K., it might cost a tiny bit more but just think,
everyone will be
looking at you with envy (Pssst, he's got one of them
there new
things...) and think of the bragging rights... "See, I
was riding
along on my $3,000 bike there with the new thing on it..."

You have this weird fascination with price. Nobody I ride
with buys anything as a status symbol -- and nobody pays
OTC price. My Trek was pro-deal because I do work for the
company, and most of my friends are in the industry. And
even if I did pay full price for my bike, who cares? Why
not have a bike that is fun to ride?

-- Jay Beattie.

No Jay, you are being mind controlled by big marketing and
you just think it's fun to ride your bike.

"you just think it's fun to ride your bike."

We've come to some bizarro world like Marxist theory in
which differing opinions are said to be caused by 'false
consciousness'.

:-) Ah but... "false consciousness" is someone who doesn't agree with
me :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.