Old June 22nd 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default TK was exactly right. OT weaseling Mea Culpa

On Jun 21, 10:08*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:

*You're making the argument that progressives and environmentalists
haven't called for alternative energy/fuels??

* *No, he's not. Strawman.

Yes it was meant to be, it's a twist to the argument, like branching
it off into TK's genocide rant.

* *Oh, and furthermore, people don't criticise TK for saying the road is basically
black, they do so for the way he says it. He earns the abuse he gets by being an
overbearing asshole more often than not. He squawks that people in here act like they
know more than experts in any subject, yet he is guilty of that more than everyone
combined. Christ, Bill, you've been on the receiving end of that ****. He continues
to perpetuate false arguments (like the ICC report was modified to reflect the
conclusions of the summary that was written before the report) even though he has
been corrected on them multiple times. The way he alwasy seems to have worked at some
place or on some thing that is relevent to a discussion, which implies *his*
expertise is more valuable than the rest of the "idiots" (as he sees us, "us" being
everyone but Tom) in here is absolutely laughable. He claims, for example, to have an
engineering degree from the USAF but he thinks there are "pockets" in the air where
airplane wings don't have lift. Ha! I could go on, but why bother?

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * tanx,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Howard

* * * * * * * * * *The bloody pubs are bloody dull
* * * * * * * * * *The bloody clubs are bloody full
* * * * * * * * * *Of bloody girls and bloody guys
* * * * * * * * * *With bloody murder in their eyes

* * * * * * * * * * *remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?- Hide quoted text -

TK's point was that biofuels are bad for the world's food supply. I
wasn't sure about that then, and still am not sure about it, but lots
of supposedly credible people are agreeing with him on that point.
That's almost always the point with TK. There's a solid kernel of
information there, then it explodes into something else, which it did
here, but that doesn't invalidate his original point. More research
may do that.

Going back through and rereading everything, it's my memory that's
faulty in detail. You and Ben are much closer to accurate. The attacks
were on him, his sources, etc...not directly at the actual argument.
Thanks for the civil slap upside the head, and forcing me to go get
it right.

I did get something great out of it, other than the correction.
I'd missed this bit:

http://tinyurl.com/59jy46

The stuff at the end of the thread, from D-y is truly classic, and
highlights your points Howard. Maybe a bit subtle, since it doesn't
accuse you, and anyone left of Attila the Hun of wanting to
exterminate life on the planet, but it's good.
I'm sorry I missed it because it, instantly, brought back memories of
driving for miles with no lights since the electrical system was
terrible, but would generate enough electricity to keep the fuel pump
going and things like that if you shut off the lights for quite a
while before it cut out totally. Several alternators and other
charging system components just prolonged the agony.
The final and, for me, fatal flaw, (D-y's Chevy "three on the tree"
linkage bit is SO accurate you KNOW he's been there), was the at the
shifter in the Rabbit was held into the tunnel by a plastic gimbal
which allowed the stick to float and shift. Not a good idea to have
the pivot point, and sole support for the shifter to be made of cheap
plastic.
I was at a busy set of lights, headed for elctrical parts, pretty
****ed off, and when the light changed I slapped it into first. I'd
had it in neutral, revving it, hoping to see some charging activity,
no luck there. When I did the shifter shot through the floor, out onto
the ground taking the "leather" boot and all with it.
Can you say "red faced"? Even with replacement plastic parts this
continued to be a problem. Most likely due to worn **** holding the
gimbal assembly. It wasn't worth detailed troubleshooting after the
new one did the same thing after a while.

PS I really do hate it when I run with something from memory, and end
up red faced, again. I keep saying "That'll teach me", but it doesn't
seem to work. And yes I would expect people who claim to be better
than him to say "You got it right on this one." when he, or anyone
else does. Even the blind squirrell gets credit for finding a nut once
in a while. I keep being told it's worse when we do it because we are
supposed to be better, so I'd say that applies here too.
IMO that doesn't apply to you and TK though. The, I want to choose
the words carefully here, brutally hostile, psychopathic maybe,
totally irrational reaction you provoke from him just for living puts
you in a different situation. I'm really surprised that he doesn't
react that way to more people too. I'm not sure what, in particular,
makes you the target since others have been much nastier to him, with
much less provocation.
I guess in this case, in particular, when he is right I feel he needs
to be recognized for it. It's intellectually honest, it sets whoever
does it apart, it validates their integrity.
It's easy to laud someone you like, it's much harder to give
recognition to someone you don't, particularly someone who attacks
you, but it's the right thing to do IMO, and makes you a better, more
credible person for being able to do it.
It really doesn't cost anything to give credit, in proportional
measure, where it's due.
My Bad
Thanks
Bill C