Old December 5th 19, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Mitten dryers

One week I'd been doing a lot of riding and found three pairs of socks
in the wash, and I had only two mitten dryers.

Well, they are easy to make, and I have a vast surplus of dress
hangers.

A dress hanger is a curved stick with a hook screwed into the middle.
I screw the hook in until it comes out the other side, back the hook
out, clean up the exit wound with a paring knife, screw the hook in
the other way, so the ends of the hanger point up, and file the sharp
corners off. Now if I put the stick into a sock or mitten, the mitten
won't slide off -- provided that the other sock is on the other end.
If a sock is too long to slide onto the stick, I can drape two pairs
over the middle.

So I grabbed a dress hangar. ?? The hook on this one is riveted on
-- that is, the maker appears to have drilled a hole through the
stick, stuck the end of the hook -- or a wire destined to be formed
into a hook -- through the hole, and formed the end of the wire into a
nailhead as one would secure a rivet.

And it seems that *all* the hooks are riveted on. When I take a
bundle of dress hangers to Goodwill, I always sort out a matched set.
I may have selectively removed the screw-in hangers.

Luckily, next to the wall, there is a bra hanger made by hooking dress
hangers together with twist-ties. I didn't disassemble itd when I
found something more convenient in the dollar store because I've never
needed the dress hangers. And these unsorted hangers included two
screw hooks, so I soon had three mitten dryers.

I may make a mitten dryer out of the other one too. These days I wear
two pairs of socks at a time, and it's still warm out compared to
January. On the other hand, when I dry the wash inside, I put wool
socks on the racks with the other clothes.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/