Old June 30th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Government Bicycle Program News

sms wrote:
On 6/30/2020 10:00 AM, wrote:
On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 5:38:34 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 6/29/2020 1:12 PM,
wrote:

snip

I am in the middle of Iowa. I know the owner of the Trek bike shop in
town but have never talked to him about where his shop earns its
revenue. Expensive or cheap bikes, accessories, clothing, mechanical
service, etc. That would probably be a fun talk. I ride with a group
of adult bicyclists. Avid bicyclists I guess since we ride once or
twice a week in the good weather months. They all have multiple bikes
each. And NONE of them have $500 and under bikes. $1000 is the very
cheapest bike anyone rides. Of course I realize the adult bicyclists
I ride with may not represent adult bicyclists very well. We are all
probably money hungry grubbing elitists with college degrees. The horror!!!!

You and your friends might be the typical customers at a Trek shop, but
you're not the typical customer at a bike shop not catering to pro
wannabees.

Maybe. But everyone I ride with is in his 50s, 60s, 70s. I doubt there
are too many of them or me with professional bicycling dreams. None of
them are poor. They all have sufficient money. And like to ride bikes.
So maybe not representative of adult bicyclists across the country.
Spending $1-2000 or more on a bicycle every few years is not a big deal.

I'm my next door neighbor's bicycle repair person and assembler. They
are not poor. So far, during the pandemic, they've bought two Linus
bicycles for the mom and teenage daughter, and I assembled them. The dad
has a Dahon. They are looking for a bicycle for their 12 year old son,
but due to the current bicycle shortage they have been unsuccessful, so
he rides the Dahon for now, and the dad rides some older hybrid. $600 is
about their limit for new bicycles. They are not going on 25 mile or
longer rides. They might do 15 miles.

The bicycle shops in this area usually have plenty of bicycle in the
$400-600 price range. Maybe not the pro-level shops, but the "regular
shops." Supposedly, bicycle shops are going to be restocked sometime in
July or August.

Funny but your “pro wannabes” is remarkably similar to one of your favorite
posters here.