Old July 31st 13, 09:45 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NY

Default Routemasters (again)

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
NY wrote:
[snipped my self-imposed rules for safe but unselfish cycling]

and then I woke up.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that you don't
believe that I abide by these rules, or are you saying that I am wrong to
abide by them and that I should be more selfish/assertive?

"that it will take longer for me to be clear of the junction if I do
happen to go through on amber".

Do you know what amber means?

Amber means stop, just as red does. But it is a grace period in which no
opposing traffic will yet (legally!) be able to set off. It is present
because if the lights change from green to amber when you are very close,
you will be unable to stop before the light: if you are closer to the lights
that your vehicle's stopping distance at the speed at which you are
travelling.

Because of this, it is not regarded as an offence to go through an amber
light. The amber phase is necessary to make red enforceable because only
with it is the road user given sufficient warning that he will be able to
stop before the red light.