Old August 1st 13, 10:01 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Routemasters (again)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:13:55 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
It seems that some European now also have a limited implementation of
"turn right on red", so can Britain be far behind?. [Correct answer is
almost certainly "Yes".]

As long as we don't get the STUPID IDIOTIC roundabout rules they have in the
Netherlands where traffic on the roundabout has to give way to traffic that
is joining, leading to roundabouts getting clogged with traffic. Almost as
absurd as France's (former?) priority to the right rule where traffic on a
major road at high speed has to give way to a farm tractor pulling out of a
farm track. Whose ill-conceived idea was that?

If we get turn left on red, I'd favour a separate set of lights and filter
lane for that traffic, with (for example) flashing amber displayed to say
"you may go if it is safe, but you must still give way to traffic and
pedestrians - you do not have priority over anyone".

The problem with mini roundabout is that they are usually positioned so that
everyone, even on what used to be the straight-on major road, has to slow to
a crawl to negotiate a VERY tight left-right-left turn to get round the
roundabout. I'd prefer it if *all* mini-roundabouts were painted on the road
so you could drive across them, taking the line that you would if it was a
normal T junction, with the roundabout there solely to establish priority
and not to deviate traffic from the normal line that it would take.

Oh and I'd like to torture, very very slowly, the person who first thought
of speed humps as a way of slowing traffic down ;-) Use speed cameras if
you really must, but not a mechanism which penalises everyone (to a greater
or lesser extent). All law-enforcement methods should be as invisible as
possible to the people who abide by the laws and only affect those who
don't.

Of course the great benefit with speed cameras over humps is the
revenue generating potential of cameras. Motorists who want to donate
to local authority coffers can do so by exceeding the speed limit,
while those who don't want to can simply obey the law.