Old July 9th 04, 04:50 PM
J. Chisholm

Default South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Simonb wrote:

Howard wrote:

the company believes the
carriage of cycles should be further restricted because it can "have a
significant impact on train service performance."

I used SW Trains on the Waterloo - Weymouth line for years, and it was
great. Until they removed the mail cages (which were fine for carrying
bikes -- lots of room, double doors) and introduced bike 'hangers' in the
pokey guard's office. These hangers make taking bikes on and off the train a
very lengthy business -- no wonder they have an impact on service
performance.

I really hate what's happening to our public transport infrastrucure.

That's the problem. We don't have a 'service' just something to enable
someone to make a profit.

I've been a commuting cyclist for 35 years but rarely take my bike on a
peak hour train.

BUT

In Cambridgeshire, where cyclists are many, a passenger complained to
the authorities that in the event of an incident the number of bikes in
doorways would hinder evacuation of train. Some trains to Cambridge in
the peak might carry over 16 bikes. Bikes were then banned from peak
hour services. In fact many Cambridge commuters have two bikes, one for
each end of the trip. When you can pick up a serviceable bike for £25
AND there is adequate cycle parking at both ends this is often a good
alternative.

I'm afraid in these days you have no RIGHT to put a bike on a train for
no charge, and those who think they have even when this deprives
passengers of space, and then create a fuss, are likely to foster the
removal of the privilege to take bikes for free on off peak trains.

I can remember the days when a bike attracted half fare unless it was a
Bickerton even on off peak trains.

I'd suggest that getting TOCs, SRA, and LAs to provide good secure cycle
parking as a priority for bothe ends of trips is a better use of effort.
(Just hope that TRANSEC doesn't get it closed a day after it is opened!)

Jim Chisholm