Old April 28th 05, 12:54 AM
NoComRulez

Default NoCom = 6 mph faster than Highwheeler

Now verified by onf of the few owners of both platforms who's a) got
hundreds of miles on each and b) is not on someone's payroll.

The course: standard bike trail commute, 17.5 miles, slight downhill
in, uphill and headwind back.

The platforms: Volae team, stock. NoCom with Renn disc and standard
spoked front wheel, FSA triple crank up front.

The data: Standard heart rate at cruising speed 160-175. At this
constant HR, speed on Volae Team on way in, 21-25 mph. Speeds on NoCom
27-32mph.

Bottom line: The team now gets used when I need to haul in clothes and
groceries, when I want to relax and smell the flowers, or when I expect
rain. Fine, fast-ish bike, but not even in the same league as the NoCom
when it comes to speed.

NoCom is also a better climber, as it is stiffer than any of the
single-tube stick bikes out there.

My wife (also an owner of one of each) puts it this way, "I don't
understand why this is even up for discussion."

Let's just say I've never seen her go 34mph on a flat on any
highwheeler...

In short, don't believe the BS. There's no comparison. Anyone who tells
you a highwheeler is even close, speedwise, is flat out lying. Buy a
highwheeler because you like the comfort. Or you like the speed
compared to the rest of the FOG trash out there. Or you don't want to
spend any time building it up a carbon-fiber sled or tweaking it to
perfection. But don't buy it if you want the fastest stick around.