Old July 7th 08, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
!Speedy Gonzales!

Default Daily Mail

"Jim" wrote in message
The Daily Mail has the following headline "Cyclist killed teenage girl on
pavement 'after refusing to swerve to avoid her'" but nowhere in the
article does anyone actually say they saw the cyclist on the pavement.

Reading the article fully, reminded me of a situation where I possibly could
have ended up in a similar state of affairs.
I was cycling a shared use path in North Edinburgh a few years back, not far
from where a 30+ year old guy was attacked by up to 30 neds whilst cycling
the same path. I was fast approaching a small group of teenagers when 3 of
the lads strung themselves out across the path. I could see their motives
were nothing more than to cause bother, and perhaps for a few fleeting
minutes look 'brave' in front of the 2 girls that made up the rest of the
compliment. I made a quick decision that I was NOT stopping and if I was
being made to stop, I was going to take out one of their number. I shouted
ahead I wasn't stopping and if they didn't clear the way I would steam
roller my way through, by this time my dander was up and I was really
annoyed that some young kids seem to take great enjoyment out of causing
distress to others.

On approach, they made no attempt to move so I steered my front wheel to the
space between 2 of the lads and as I squeezed my way through, I felt the
moment deserved a wee bit retaliation so I give the youth to my right a good
kick in the ol' family jewels. These guys were 17/18 so I know he felt that
one. The other 2 gave a very brief chase but my head was down by this point
and long gone.

I fully realise that had anything had came of this incident, I'd be the one
getting charged, and it would be my mug shot on the front of the Mail, 'teen
ramblers assaulted by crazed biker' being the tag line.

Suffice to say I no longer cycle this route after tea time, lovely route but
just not worth the hassle.

--
!Speedy Gonzales!

Remove the SPAMTRAP to reply