Old May 26th 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

Default Favorite biking snacks?

On 5/26/2020 1:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we took
various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But somehow, with
changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to have gotten out of that
snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife didn't bonk,
but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I happened to find a gel
packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It helped noticeably; so we should
get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a medical
infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually stopping the bike
to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

I like Kashi chewy granola bars, especially the chocolate-almond ones. They
have a good mix of sugar and complex carbs.