Old February 20th 05, 02:58 PM
Mark Leuck

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark Leuck wrote:

Interesting story last week, seems California and Oregon is looking

at
taxing cars by miles driven, the reasoning however isn't what one

thinks
since it seems so many people are buying hybrid cars then the state

loses
money from gas taxes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Who ever started that story wasn't much interested in facts. It is
true that as miles driven have gone up 15% in CA, gas tax revenues,
adjusted for inflation, have gone down 8% over (IIRC) a 5 year period.
I have yet to see someone explain why. I think even the original story
did not blame hybrids, but was saying that CA would take away the
financial reward for driving them - not entirely true either, since the
hybrid driver would still be spending less on gas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

My bad, hybrids were mentioned but not the prime cause