Old September 8th 17, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: It bears repeating

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 22:19:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/6/2017 10:55 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 4:19:49 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

I had one of those "hi-bred" cars pass me a while back. It was fairly
wide road and not especially heavy traffic and he just sort of ghosted
by. I first saw him then his front fender maybe even with my shoulder
- scared me. As he went by and disappeared into the distance he was
totally quiet.

This is the only time that I can remember anything like this happening
and I blame it on car being so quiet.

That has happened to me a few times, but I can usually hear noise of their tires. What has unnerved me is electric scooters overtaking me on multi-use paths; they do not have particularly aggressive tread patterns and so make little noise that can be heard over traffic.

That happened to me several times during my years of commuting to work.
I think it was a combination of noise in my ears from a headwind, plus
maybe some other traffic noise.

I trained myself to do a visual check before any lateral move, rather
than relying on sound.

In my case it wasn't a lateral move. I was just pedaling along toward
the outer edge of the outside lane minding my own business and this
black fender appeared. As the guy went by he wasn't unusually close
but that sudden appearance certainly surprised me.

As "normal" city traffic, here, will likely be traveling two to three
times "bicycle speed" it certainly is a wise idea to look before you
leap, as it were :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.