Old October 30th 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: I met him again today

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 08:05:48 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

Second follow-up is tomorrow; all they told me is that I *will* be
dilated.

Dilated? Or Delighted?

As in "bring those sunglasses we gave you." Which is what I presume
she meant by saying "You *will* be dilated" twice.

I had my eyes done one at a time so it didn't bother me all that much
although I didn't attempt to ride a bicycle or drive a car until I two
eyes functioning.

I could see well enough to ride almost at once after each operation --
I could still wear my old glasses before the second -- but I don't
think much of operating heavy machinery in my present condition -- if
only because I can't see the road and the dashboard with the same
glasses.

The doctors here give you one lens for close up and one lens for long
distance which tends to lead to reading with one eye :-)

No danger of that with me, because the near-sighted eye is my
low-resolution eye. And my brain has had years of experience at
merging a fuzzy image with a better one. When I was keeping the
low-resolution eye closed the evening after the first operation, I was
astonished at how much it had been helping -- and not just with
three-D vision.

When the surgeon was working on my first eye, I heard him tell the
assistant that he was going to make it nearsighted "like she's used
to", and when he was working on the second, he remarked that he was
picking a lens for middle distance and "she's going to love it".

Finally understood "middle distance" in church this morning, when I
noticed that the people halfway up the aisle were sharper than the
preacher. I'd been thinking that everything more than ten feet away
was equally sharp.

I wear 1.5 reading glasses for close. Took surprisingly long to find
some -- I got them at Sherman & Lin's on the way to a serious hunt for
glasses in multiple stores. So I turned around and went home.

(Sherman & Lin's sells things other stores couldn't. It is not a
place to look for something specific, but I always stop.) (Unless I'm
on my way to the Farmers' Market, which closes at noon.)

Monday 29 October 2018

Got the prescription -- and the optician is open Wednesday, Thursday,
and Friday.

Oddly enough, I didn't particularly need sunglasses. Wore them anyway
-- after leaving; I wore reading glasses while waiting for Dave. The
large-print Reader's Digest is better than I remember it.

I took my nap early -- perhaps excitement, perhaps because I had a
very early lunch on account of having had only an eighth of a bagel, a
glass of milk, and a handful of pills for breakfast. (I had put two
food bars in my bag, but forgot to eat them.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net