Old February 15th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Nederlander low gear innovation

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 3:12:01 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 10:39:21 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But I've ridden stuff like that on my mountain bike. Colorado, 1986.
Triple chainrings. Granted, I also walked some of it, but a 1x with not
as low a gear wouldn't have helped.

As did many other people who had problems with chains unshipping or getting stuck between rings or not shifting or over-shifting after hitting a rock in the middle of a shift. Mud is another big problem with FDs and multiple chainrings. Again, non-Frank people have reasons for choosing 1X. 1X is really taking over the MTB market.

Well, that's all there is to it then. No discussion about what's good
about it vs. what's bad. It's taking over. So ya gotta keep up!

Will those of us with two or more chainrings still be allowed to post
here?

- Frank Krygowski