Old February 16th 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:54:18 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 17:15:52 UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:

32 years ago, after a terrible winter in my old mini pickup, I bought
a Ford Bronco II and took delivery on Halloween, which it turned out
was appropriate for that vehicle. Never buying another Ford (the
heads cracked, the transmission bits and bobs disintegrated, etc.).
First time I drove it on icy conditions I came up to the corner,
stepped on the brake to turn and sailed right on through. That let
me know that it accelerated better but didn't stop or turn any
better. Cost me a bent rim since the opposite curb stopped me...

Ford = Fix Or Repair Dialy or Found On Road Dead.

Man, my old Bronco II sure lived up to that. I had been under the
mistaken belief that they did trucks better than cars but no. Now,
despite my grousing I bought that vehicle 10/31/1988 and kept it until I
replaced it- funnily enough- on 10/31/2001. 13 years and finally I had
road rage just getting into it, before even starting it. I was dumb,
it's not a long story.

The final straw occurred a week or two earlier- my wife and I had been
out for a bike ride with friends and were on the way home. She was
expressing some disapprobation about the Bronco II (which she hated and
that may have motivated me to keep it out of sheer stubbornness). I
replied defensively that sure, it had been through some problems but
other than that had been fairly reliable. About two minutes later it
ceased running and wouldn't restart. Had to be towed. Uh huh. That
was it. My wife struggled to say nothing, succeeded but with her
silence said everything. Donated for parts. What a pile of junk.