Old February 17th 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 2:36:06 PM UTC, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 6:56:18 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/15/2020 8:24 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:49:53 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 2:26 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 1:29 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 11:17 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Separate question: Andrew, on my bike, the logos were hand
lettered, not decals. Do you do that in your shop?

We do not ourselves. We hire it out to an artist; not cheap,
it's highly skilled labor.

Who did yours? Did you do it yourself?

I never attempted it. I did trace the original, hoping to try
it someday, but it's 30 years later and I haven't gotten
around to it!

Vaguely related: For a few years, I've been nibbling away at a
weird project, a "reflecting ceiling sundial." I'm at the
point where I need to paint a complicated set of overlapping
analemma curves on my ceiling.

If I had a skilled pinstripe artist or sign painter who could
work in an anti-gravity field, I'd hire him. But pinstriping
brushes and rollers don't seem to work well upside down. I'm
forced to double-mask dozens of these curves. It's terribly
tedious.

I asked because I couldn't think of a frame with hand painted
graphics. I still can't recall one.

The Waterford I bought back in 1998 had my name (in cursive)
painted on it. I had assumed that was hand painted, but maybe it
was not?

In a thread tie (or maybe it was somewhere else in this thread?),
I bought the Waterford because I was envious of my buddy's classic
Paramount, and it seemed the closest I could come to it.

Waterford script (and block) graphics are dry mount film
transfers:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdrs33.jpg

I know the guy who screens them.

Regarding Frank's Raleigh, these are actual 45 year old
solvent mount graphics (hence a bit yellowed) recently applied:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/rsc18q.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I bought a set for my Basso and they were absolutely perfect. Then I decided to clear coat them so that they wouldn't wear off like they do on Pinaellos. That was a very bad idea because it was far too cold that the clear wouldn't dry rapidly enough and it floated the decals and dried with rippled coat. Takeaway is to only do things like that in warm weather or under heat lamps like the pros do.

I have the name Kranich handlettered on my Utopia bike, and the gold coachlines too, by the craftsman who worked not he assembly line in 1936 when the distant ancestor of my bike was first built by the Locomotive company. His name is Meester Henk Kluwer and a few years ago Volkswagen chose him as the greatest living craftsman in Europe. Scroll down in this PDF to the headline "A proper gentleman’s bicycle of course has gold coachlining by the original craftsman!" where he is pictured at work:
http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute'sUtopiaKranich.pdf

In the winter I spray varnish on paintings in a heated room in the loft used for nothing else, but it is hell to get a bike up there. Once, without me noticing it, a spider settled on one of about a dozen paintings I had laid out and was varnishing together. I didn't see it for six months while the varnish set, and then it was too late to remove the spider, which had been varnished over, without leaving a hole in the varnish. The painting's owner is under the distinct impression that I planned for the 3D spider to be part of his painting. After that, in the summer when I varnish outside, I no longer pick leaves and other small items borne on the wind out of the varnish... I like the happenstances of watercolours but to my regret it happens less often in oils.

Andre Jute
You may call me Mr Serendipity