Old March 23rd 20, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

Default Eerie pictures show Nottingham's empty streets - except cyclistsdelivering food

On Monday, 23 March 2020 20:41:23 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 8:38:07 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:43 Simon Mason wrote:

Where are all the cars?
QUOTE:
The streets of Nottingham were empty at the weekend [...]
So thank you Nottingham - and stay safe. [...]
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...-empty-3974182

Cycling is an inherently safe form of transport where the danger is
almost all external, coming as it does from drivers and other motor
vehicle users. When you come to think of it encouraging cycling during
the coronavirus lockdown is the way to go.

There is no logical reason why any outdoor activity should be limited,
and healthier, fitter people are likely to be more resistant to the
effects of the coronavirus. With so much less motor traffic on the
roads cycling has never been safer. First there was a run on toilet
rolls, then food, and soon all the lycra will be sold out.

Boris Johnson has just said that you can only leave the house to shop, jog, walk and cycle.

My problem with these 'temporary' laws is how many of them will remain after the crisis is over.
I suspect we will all get 'Temporary' ID cards and the Police will have 'Temporary' powers to stop and ID anyone absent suspicion of a crime. These 'temporary' powers will remain in place because statistics will 'prove' the introduction of ID cards reduced crime.

Is anyone else reminded of On The Beach by Nevil Shute?