Old May 24th 04, 06:29 PM
MSeries

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Michael MacClancy wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:51:35 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I call it the respect/contempt issue.
Cyclists in the Netherlands are respected and numerous.
Cyclists in Britain are hated and not numerous.

I don't know what will change the numbers.
I don't have a clue what will induce the Brits to accord more
respect to cyclists. Some cycle farcilities are definitely
counter-productive here (and there's a large feature in the local
rag entitled 'Cycle lane has hit profits, angry traders tell
minister')

Here's a link to the story:
http://tinyurl.com/3ezt3

"former customers tell me what a shame it is that they can't shop locally
any more" maybe if they made the effort to shop locally then the shops
wouldn't have closed. Once again we see how small minded some folk are.
Instead of finding another means of travelling such as bicycle or public
transport, which I presume is one of the intentions of the scheme, they
chose to go elsewhere - then whinge about it.