Old February 1st 20, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default What's it take 2B Criminaly Charged in Forida 4 Killing with a car?

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:42:01 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 1/31/2020 9:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:04:40 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 1/31/2020 8:23 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 31 January 2020 21:18:43 UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Geeze, I'm glad I don't live in Florida! It seems as though bicyclists and/or pedestrians are fair game down there if they're killed by a motor vehicle. Here's yet another case where criminal charges will NOT be laid against the drive of a vehicle that killed someone. This even though the driver drove his car through a red light.

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Ped...567422241.html

Cheers

Oops! Forgot to include this from the article:

"Authorities say an investigation concluded a driver ran the red light at a pedestrian cross walk in the 1000 block of West Tennessee and struck Nickchen, who was in the crosswalk.

Officials say the driver will not be criminally charged and will be issued the "appropriate citations."'

not only Florida
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/01...d-in-brooklyn/

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...un/4627225002/

And sadly your 'not charged' is roughly equivalent to the
usual outcome after plea-to-reduced or community service or
whatever.

In your first reference the news clip says that the crash is being
investigated.

In your second reference the article states that the driver was
charged with the crime of hit and run causing a death and is on bail
awaiting trial.

No mention, yet, of not being charged.
--
cheers,

John B.

??
Sir's quote (FL) includes his main point 'not charged'

My links (this morning and last weekend) will most probably,
as I suggested above, have roughly the same result to the
driver- greatly reduced charges or some negligible fine/service.

If you are referring to the first reference, above, then you are not
correct. The article says "Officials say the driver will not be
criminally charged and will be issued the "appropriate citations."

As I said in a reply to Sir, it may well be a factor of the Florida
law code and mentioned A.J. Simpson who was never convicted of a
criminal offense but was convicted of a civil offense (I guess you
might call it).
--
cheers,

John B.