Old February 12th 20, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Danger! Danger!

On 2/12/2020 12:12 AM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:34:04 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:09:44 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I'm pretty sure that if someone tried to institute a U.S. national
identification card, there would be millions of people protesting it as
government overreach, a first step toward a police state confiscating
guns and other property. Many of those people would be the same ones who
rage about illegal immigrants.

I take it that you have never heard of "Real ID".

The U.S. has had "papers, please" for some time, and I never leave
home without my certificate of human status.

Goodness, you've already got a government I.D. card, just that it
isn't issued by the central government, only certified by the central
government. Sort of an end run...I guess that if the state issues you
a driver's license with a gold star everything is hunky dory but if
the federal government was issuing it would be an infringement of your
constitutional rights :-)

There is no requirement to have a driver's license, or any government ID
for that matter. You may find it difficult to function without one
though. If you want to get on an airplane, buy certain non-prescription
drugs, buy alcohol, etc., you'd want to have an ID.

The U.S. has never had a "papers please" requirement.