Old November 26th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Sram i-Motion 3 Speed Coaster Review

On Nov 26, 9:58*am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*landotter wrote:
That said, the Sram hubs are durable--you just don't see any
stateside.

My LBS in Minnesota usually stocks the Sram T3 (formerly Sachs Torpedo
3) and the 5 speed version because he gets enough calls for them, and
has gotten other IGH stuff from them too. *And he stocks Shimano IGHs
but I don't think he stocks the Rolhoff. *He also carries a number of
bikes that come with IGHs, such as Breezers.

I have thought for many years that the ideal bike for the majority of
people is the classic British 3 speed,although it needs closer gear
spacing or a 5 speed. *Simple to use, durable, comfortable, far less
horrible looking than the "comfort" bikes one sees today (and probably
lighter, too).

Those comfort bikes that are easy to make fun of are usually closer to
the geometry of what Dutch and Japanese ride in the city every day.
The problem is, more often than not, that they're not dialed in. At
the LBS, for example, the plain Electra Townies look goofy to me, but
the decked out version looks the business:

http://mybiketinley.com/product/10-e...4d-51843-1.htm

Take your average more upright hybrid, add $100 worth of curvy bars,
an SKS chainguard, fenders, and a rack--you got yourself the
Dusseldorf edition.

Conversely--if you took your average beater Japanese "mamachari" and
took off the practical bits--it would likely look like upper end
Xmart.

I do like hub gears--but TBH, a 1x system with only a right shifter is
just as stupidly simple--and dead easy to service.