Old August 17th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Flat repair

On 8/15/2018 1:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 10:52:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 1:45:33 AM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:02:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/14/2018 5:02 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:47:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0ttwnSszY

pfff.....

Lou

I like how they used a TUBE for the repair. Might as well just use a tube tire in the first place.

Cheers

Why? So that you can get five times the flats as a tubeless setup gets?

Let me ask you again - why do you suppose that every other rubber tired vehicle has changed to tubeless?

You're beginning to sound like Joerg. "Why don't bicycles have chains as
strong as motorcycles? Why don't bicycles have integrated charging
systems and heated seats and power windows? Why don't bicycles protect
us from the rain?"

The requirements are different, so the engineering is different.
Bicycles don't have spare tires already mounted on wheels inside their
trunks. That alone is very significant.

His question is an exaggeration. Every rubber tired vehicle does not
use tubeless.

I was looking at the wheel chairs in the Hospital the other day and
they have foam filled tires.

I came across an article that stated that many "Container" carrier
trucks are still equipped with tubes.
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tubed-...ses-and-trucks

Then I came across the Goodyear catalog for aircraft tires and see
that the "standard" tire for the 747 is a tube tire.

I could go on (and probably on) but it is obvious that the statement
that "every other rubber tired vehicle has changed to tubeless" just
isn't correct.

Or perhaps it is a matter of "every tire that HE KNOWS ABOUT" is
tubeless which says something about his qualifications as a tire
expert.

John, do you even bother to read the stuff you are posting? It plainly states in that article that they don't have tubeless tires because of the expense of upgrading to new style tires and rims.

If your argument is based, as most here appear, to be that you have an old bike for which conversion would cost more than the worth of the bike why the hell don't you argue THAT instead of using the phony arguments that they would be difficult to repair if you got the same sort of flat that would also make a tube tire worthless. The dumb-ass comment that you could fix one of these slashed open tires with a candybar wrapper is pretty inane. Or the claim that they don't get as good a performance when even the testing shows the theory of rolling resistance being less on a tire with less mass to e true as it is in every other case.

Look, I've been riding for 40 years. I've had a lot of flats. I have never successfully repaired a slashed tire with either an innertube section or ever found a candybar wrapper that would possibly hold anything together against the inflation pressure of a high performance tire.

I don't think anyone is proposing a dollar-bill or candy bar wrapper boot as a permanent fix. They do work as a temporary fix until you get home. I've stuffed dollar bills into numerous tires with sizable slashes and gotten home.

Agreed, not a permanent fix, but you can get surprisingly far...

Had a brand-new veloflex master (very nice tire) on at the start of a
200k rando. Inside of two miles, hit a massive nail/staple (staple
shaped, thick as a roofing nail) that left about a 3-4 mm hole in the
tire. Boot with a folded Tyvek bib number (from some charity ride),
fine for the rest of the ride. Didn't even feel a bump in the tire.

Same on another 200k when another new tire got a sidewall cut of about
6-8mm (could put my pinky finger through it). The boot got me 50 miles
to a stop where the obliging spousal unit brought another tire - but
probably could have finished the ride with the boot. Both flats were
three years ago, only one bad flat since, so the flat gremlins ride in
packs. And I'm sure I could use heavier tires to avoid some of these
problems.

Moral: Folded Tyvek bib numbers weigh nothing, take up little space,
can salvage some really catastrophic tire failures. (Heh, try that with
tubeless).

Mark J.