Old February 6th 04, 12:32 AM
Pete Biggs

Default Sprung Saddles

Y Cymro wrote:
As I get older comfort becomes more of a factor. I have already
resorted to a suspension seatpost on my off-road bike, but am
considering something similar for my hack bike.

A Use seatpost is quite pricey. A cheaper option sems to be a Brooks
sprung saddle - a 'Conquest' or a 'Flyer'.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

There are some cheaper suspension seatposts from the likes of Post Moderne
and Kalloy. I've got a Post Moderne Bracer Road post on my tourer (not
one of the cheaper models): the effect is useful but very minimal.

I have tried a sprung Brooks B66 Champion* previously on the same bike:
much softer and bouncier suspension than the above - too much for me,
really, although it was the top that finally put me off rather than the
springs.
I also briefly tried a Conquest. Springs don't do as much on this
model and the leather was rock hard on this second-hand one I used. Dear
oh dear: Brooks is a strange religion :-)

* narrower than standard B66, same shape as B17, can be used with micro
adjust seatpost by using an adaptor (from St John Street Cycles).

~PB