Old September 17th 03, 06:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default please explain "trim" feature on front derailer

I keep reading about the "trimming ability" benefit of Tiagra and
above front derailers. Could someone explain to me in detail what this
trim ability is, and if it is something that I will be using on my new
2004 Cannondale R600 Triple?

Grrrr. Makes me angry! No, not because you bought the R600 instead of the
TREK 1500, but because the dealer didn't go over this with you. Happens
once in a while at my own shop as well, despite how often I explain to staff
that they have to assume the "trim" function is something the customer may
not know about.

The "trim" function on nearly all Shimano triple road groups (with the
exception of DuraAce and Sora) works the same way. On the smallest and
middle front chainring positions, you can move the front shift lever
slightly so that it's centered over the chain, eliminating chain rub on the
derailleur. This is really something that should be demonstrated to you, in
person, and if you come across a staff member who's confused by it, by all
means seek out someone else at the shop. Mountain bikes don't have this
feature, and somebody who's totally into mtn biking and nothing else may not
even be aware it's there.

OK, since they didn't explain the "trim" function, here are a few other
tidbits to keep in mind-

#1: Full rated tire pressure at all times (unless you weigh 120 pounds and
ride on roads as smooth as glass). If the tires are rated at 120psi, don't
ride them at 105. At full pressure, you'll get fewer flats and a more
efficient ride. If you want a smoother ride, switch to the next-wider tire.

#2: Make sure you understand how the quick-release wheels work. You
probably already know, but in case you don't, quick-releases are
cam-operated devices that lock in place by flipping the lever open, *not* by
screwing them on. It's the shop's responsibility to make sure the customer
knows this; often times they don't, because they think everybody knows this
and that they'll make it look like they think the customer's an idiot by
showing it.

#3: Keep the seat level, not nose-down. If, to get comfortable on the
saddle, you require a nose-down position, you need to either switch saddles
or look at your fit (quite possibly you're too stretched out, especially if
the bike still has the stock stem on it). The problem with riding with the
nose down is that you're being shoved towards the bars while riding, and
you're actually pushing back with your arms the entire time, trying to
maintain position on the seat. This causes pain in the neck & shoulders.

I think that's about it for now; get back to us if you've got any more
questions. But first get back to the shop (or some knowledgeable friends)
for a demonstration, not just an explanation, of how the "trim" function
works!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

m...