Old June 19th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Protecting yourself

On 6/15/2019 5:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Yes, CRV (California Refund Value).
https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/bevcontainer
https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/bevcontainer/programinfo/faq
The remaining recycling centers continue to accept CRV recyclables, as
long as the state continues to pay them for the collected materials.
However, since nobody wants the PET bottles, it's unlikely that this
practice will continue.

The state isn't paying for the collected materials, the money comes from
the CRV fee paid when you buy the product. The original goal of the
whole CRV program was to reduce litter of glass, plastic, and aluminum
bottles. The state benefits financially when a CRV container is tossed
since they don't have to refund the deposit.

The problem with recycling is that the amount of energy and money it
takes to properly recycle is very high. Wash out that plastic food
container with hot water, sort it, pick it up in a separate truck, pay
the sorting cost at the recycling center, ship it to where it can be
used to make something useful, is all more costly than using virgin
plastic or steel or glass. Aluminum is still worth recycling.

Not generating so much plastic waste in the first place would be better.
I was just in Europe. The countries I was in have safe tap water. But
you'll rarely find it available in a drinking fountain, most everyone's
buying drinking water in single-use plastic bottles. In San Francisco,
just past security there's a station to fill a water bottle. In the
Vienna airport there was no such animal. We finally found one drinking
fountain hidden in a hallway in one terminal. Also, we were told to
leave empty containers (water, beer, etc.) next to a garbage can where
they would be picked up by people that make their money doing recycling.