Old July 12th 19, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Alarm lock

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 7:36:29 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/11/2019 5:35 PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/11/2019 12:25 PM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 10:26:53 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 8:38:21 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy

Do you run outside every time you hear a car alarm? No one
else does either.

I wonder what percentage of blaring car alarms actually indicate a car being
stolen. I suspect it's close to zero.

I was in a tiny deli a few days ago. There was only one other customer. A car
alarm started blaring just outside the shop. After about 30 seconds, the other
guy said to me "Is that your car alarm?"

"It's not mine," I said. Then he walked to the door, looked out and said "Oh,
it's mine!" It took him another 30 seconds to figure out how to stop it.

- Frank Krygowski

For me, the alarm is for my notification.

I make no assumption that anyone would do anything about someone trying to steal my bike.

I am mulling on adding on a version of a fence charger.

I could do it for under $20.

But my bike is pushing some serious weight already. :-(

Andy

Don't do that. Creating a "man trap" is a felony most
places[1].

Just keep your bike with you like a normal person and stop
worrying.

[1]Jay I need you here.

If I recall, the common law principle is that you can't use
a device for an act you couldn't legally do yourself and
simple theft is not a capital crime. A robbery does entail
threat to life but this isn't that. You might argue that
it's a maybe sublethal voltage, but you don't know who has a
pacemaker and who doesn't.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You really should pay attention to peoples posts.

And stop trying to discourage them.

I saw barbed wire around the top of a tall wall at a day care, if you can believe that.

Someone could step in a hole and fall and kill themselves.

Someone could get hit by a vulture that just died while flying and hit a neighbor in your property killing them.

Just take some deep breaths and calm down.

Maybe get a Thai massage. But would not recommend letting them walk on your back.

Andy

When you wrote "fence charger" I understood electric shock
which is specifically mentioned in the relevant statutes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971