Old July 16th 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Electronic Shifting

wrote:
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 3:11:39 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/14/2019 10:08 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Electronic shifting is like hydraulic shifting, or hydraulic brakes,
or pneumatic shifting-- a solution in search of a problem. Added
cost, added points of failure, added difficulty to service and
maintain, negligible to nonexistent benefit. A pass-fail intelligence test.

But it IS electric. It goes to 11 . . . or 12. I have Di2 on one bike
because it was OE and will admit that it is fun (good shifting under
load, fast and low effort shifting), but it is entirely elective and
not all that much "better" than Ultegra level 11sp shifters, which are
pretty damned good. It is certain within the ambit of products one
could purchase. It's not crazy or dopey, etc. I just have questions about cost-benefit.

-- Jay Beattie.

One trivial example:
Shifting with meatware leads some large number of riders
into small-small most of the time. Electronic systems can't
shift there!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Why not? I can.

lou

And my mechanical 3x9 system does big-big, small-small and all combinations
in between. Obviously, the combinations that aren’t horribly cross-chained
work a bit better, but not so bad that I need an interlock to prevent me
from shifting into them.