Old March 3rd 15, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dynamo Lights viz Battery Lights in snow qand slush?

On 3/3/2015 3:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Salt water will find its way inside just about anything eventually, for
example this 'sealed' Nexus:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nx7brokn.jpg

I worry about that a bit with my two hub dynos and my old Sturmey-Archer
3 speed hub. As I understand it, taking the bike from the relatively
warm basement to the outside cold causes the internal air to contract
and suck in the nasty stuff. I anoint the S-A units with oil from time
to time, hoping that's enough to magically ward off evil. But the
Shimano has no provision for that magic.

(SON uses different, more effective magic, it seems.)

--
- Frank Krygowski