Old May 25th 04, 05:35 PM
Simon Brooke

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

in message , David Hansen
') wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:36:58 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" wrote this:-

Evidence? Edinburgh spent large sums and the number of utility
cyclists apparently dropped.

I find this difficult to believe, but am amenable to convincing. The
North Edinburgh path network, for all its faults, seems to have
encouraged a fair number of people to try cycling.

I wonder. Thirty years ago (when cycling in the meadows was VERBOTEN)
there was an almost continuous stream of cycling traffic on Middle
Meadow Walk morning and evening, and bikes were generally common
throughout the city.

I think the base level of utility cycling in Edinburgh was probably
quite high anyway, so if it's still quite high that isn't any proof
it's improved.

I'm not convinced that the red paint in other parts of the city has
been that effective.

I'm not in Edinburgh very much any more, but what I've seen of the bike
lanes along Corstorphine Road and Queensferry Road seem a total farce -
they seem to be just used as carparks.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]