Old December 30th 04, 01:17 AM
OliverS

PSB wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:

I generally get 6 years before that happens, and the current one
looks to be going strong for more years yet.

I was hoping you would ring in Ron.

The thing about the Huffy I was looking at has knobby tires. The Schwinn
didn't have knobbies.

What do you recommend Ron, knobbies or slicks?

Thanks.

Rolling resistance comes from distortion of the tire and the surface. A
steel wheel on a steel rail has the least rolling resistance.

Knobby tires have significantlly greater rolling resistance than a
smooth tire. Likewise high pressure tires have less rolling resistance
than soft tires. The most important thing is to get a bike that fits.
If it has knobby tires, change them to something smoother. I love
Avocet Cross tires 700x35 for general purpose riding and touring. The
inverted tread has low rolling resistance on a smooth surface, and has
some grip on dirt roads and paths. They are a little bit on the
expensive side though. If you are commuting, you do not want knobbies,
unless you are purposely trying to increase your calorie burn.

Oliver

--
Cheers! OliverS
When replying personally, remove "_nospam_"

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of
the human race." HG Wells