Old December 30th 04, 03:03 AM
A Muzi

Ron Hardin Wrote:
Every 10k miles or so, replace BB chainwheel chain and freewheel
together, when the chain finally starts popping off the chainwheel
startups. Huffy sells replacements over the phone.

meb wrote:
Uh, when you replace that many parts at once isn't that approaching the
price of a comparable new bike? Sounds like unless you've got a cheap
source of parts, at 10k miles it's time to put Huffy to pasture and get
a new Huffy/roadmaster/schwinn unless the faithfull steed has become
part of the family. Might even be cheaper to buy a second as a parts
bike.

Nobody else has chimed in on this issue, but often with a commuter you
have to deal with rain, salt, snow so it's nice to have a bike on hand
that you don't dread getting weathered on. Also, there may be
locations you travel in wherein you want a bike the theives don't
target.

-snip-

Yeah. I was spending way too much time, attention and money
on that sort of thing until I built myself a winter fixed.
Now it's a chain a year, brake pads every 3-4 years, tire
now and again, but no angst. Just celebrated ten years last
month.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org