Old December 24th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Invisible Cyclists in Solstice Dark

"Rod King" wrote in message
Elisa

Have you considered that if your colleague is driving so fast that they
cannot pick out a cyclist then the appropriate action may be to slow down
rather than moan about them wearing dark clothing.

I believe that the responsibility is squarely with the motorist to conduct
their driving so that they can avoid any obstacles that are within their
vision. That means GO SLOWER.

Right. IOW, "don't overdrive your headlights". If you cant see something
in your path in time to stop, you're speeding (violation of the Basic Speed
Law). That's true of driving in the dark, of course, but it's also the case
when you drive faster than the speed on the yellow diamond-shaped sign with
the curving arrow and the "35 mph" on it. That sign means that the
sightline of the road ahead is such that, if you're driving faster than the
posted speed, you cannot stop in time to avoid an object in the roadway.
Sometimes it's a deer, sometimes it's a cyclist, and hereabouts, sometimes
it's a big-assed combine or hay-wagon.

But expecting people to drive within the capability to see the road ahead is
sort of futile, isn't it? I mean, look at all the "chain-reaction"
accidents where motorists speeding down the freeway at 80mph heedlessly hurl
themselves into a fog bank?