Old May 11th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Default RBM: Strange bike sighting of the month

Bob wrote:
On May 11, 9:33*am, wrote:
* *Okay, I didn't actually see this bike in person, but a local TV station
ran a piece on a family that bought one. *If I'm remembering the spelling
right, this is the link:

* * * *http://www.bakfiet.nl

* *Interesting variation on the theme, though I'm not sure I see how it's
better than a trailer, or even panniers in some instances. *And it must be
murder getting it up hills. *But interesting anyway.

It is rather interesting in a tallbike sort of way- as an eyecatching
device- but I don't see it having any advantage over a trailer and
several disadvantages. However it affects the riding characteristics,
the extended length has to make storage and parking more problematic
for sure.

The length isn't the problem, longtails generally ride better than
shorter bikes. The problem is the linkage to the front wheel makes
steering mushy IMO. I don't care for it personally. On the other hand,
I'd still take it over a trailer.

As to parking, I don't that's too bad, but storage would be a real
concern [0]. I have a garage that's dedicated to bikes and 'stuff' [1],
but many people don't. Or they put silly things like cars in them.

[0] Nobody with a third floor apartment is going to want one.
[1] Where of course 'stuff' takes up the vast majority of the space.

--
Dane Buson -
A well-used door needs no oil on its hinges.

These are great mysteries.
-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"