Old August 4th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Clive George

Default TdF and recumbents

wrote in message

Seems like the aerodynamic advantage is really a disadvantage during
training. So, the recumbent riders training for the race, would use a
method of reducing the aerodynamic advantage by adding wind
resistance, like putting up a small parachute/sail on the bike that
increased drag. Then, their physical reserve would be the same as a
diamond frame rider, by not having the drag of the sail during the
actual race. This would be like a runner training with a 40 lb. back
pack and then not having the back pack during an actual race.

Do runners find that training with a 40lb back pack improves their
performance come the actual race? I'm guessing the answer is no, since I'm
not aware that any do.

The recumbent riders training for the race would merely train at higher
speeds - there's no rules saying they can't - which would prepare them
better for the actual race.