Old September 19th 05, 06:39 PM
wafflycat

Default If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. ..

I like it, but think it's something that works for innocent kids but for
adults would tell people that hey, I'm on a bike, I'm superior, get the
heck out of my way! Which of course is true. If I were putting a lot of
time in riding on multi-use bikepaths, I'd invest in a ding-ding bell very
quickly. It's not rude, and people naturally move to the side.

Where I am, there's a lot of narrow country lanes, so I come across
pedestrians and horse riders quite often. I find a friendly "Cyclist
approaching behind you" in good time, works well, especially if a "thank
you" with a smile follows as I cycle past. I find people simply do not hear
a bell - I have one on the 'bent - the sound of my voice is much more
effective. Of course, my father was a regimental seargeant-major and my
mother could outshout him, so perhaps it's in the genes ;-)

Cheers, helen s